4 Days 3 Nights Lake Turkana Northern Kenya Safari offers you the following; geographical beauty, rural homesteads and fishing boats, warm-hearted people, interesting animals and natural discovery.
Lake Turkana is also known as the “Jade Sea” because of its remarkable blue – green colour. This is a result of algae particles, which shift with changes of the wind and light, so that the water surface shifts from blue to grey to fabulous jade.
The Lake was originally named Lake Rudolph in 1888 and was renamed Lake Turkana in 1975. It is the largest alkaline lake in the world.
Lake Turkana is 300 km long and 50 km wide and is the world’s largest permanent desert lake. The water is potable, but not very palatable. Three rivers feed into the lake but there is no out flow, all water loss is via evaporation.
Lake Turkana National Parks comprise of Sibiloi National Park, the South Island and Central Island National Parks. The island parks are breeding habitats for Nile crocodiles, hippopotamus and several snake species.
There are a number of fish in the lake to include the African Tetras, African Knifefish, African Arowana, African Elephant fish and the Nile perch to name a few.
Many bird species migrate to the lake. Some common ones are the African Skimmer, Common & Wood Sandpiper, Greater Flamingo and the Little Stint.
Reptiles and Mammals are both present as well. The Nile crocodiles are found there with large turtles. Several species of Zebras & Gazelles are found and an occasional sighting of a giraffe.
Crocodile Island on Lake Turkana is a favorite place of anthropologists. It is has produced some of the world’s most fascinating human evolutionary fossil finds.
Many Hominid fossils have been found around the lake dating back about two million years ago. Hominids are part of the Homininae family which consist of humans, gorillas and chimpanzees.
These fossils are considered by some, to be the first findings of extinct human relatives. Because of these findings, the lower Omo Valley and Lake Turkana is called the cradle of mankind.
Our 4 Days 3 Nights Lake Turkana Northern Kenya Safari Lake Turkana safari accommodation is at the Lobolo Camp and visits the Central Island National Park
4 DAYS 3 NIGHTS LAKE TURKANA NORTHERN KENYA SAFARI ITINERARY
Day 1: Nairobi – Fly To Turkana
Met at either Eliye Airstrip (charter flights) or Lodwar (schedule flights) and transfer to Lobolo Camp on the western shore of Lake Turkana. Lunch en route or at the camp, dinner and overnight at Lobolo Camp.
Day 2: Visit A Turkana Village & Afternoon Boat Ride
Mini-breakfast and drive to Turkana Village or homestead for a cultural visit and return to the camp for full breakfast. In the afternoon leave by boat to Central Island National Park (UNESCO – world heritage site), dinner and overnight fly-camp on Central Island.
Day 3 : Visit Crocodile Lake, Sundowners And Turkana Cultural Dance
0600 Hours: Wake up, have tea, coffee and biscuits and leave the camp by boat (short ride) to the trail to Flamingo Lake, the breeding place for flamingo.
Return to the boat for another short ride to the trail to Crocodile Lake, the breeding place for crocs. Return to the Fly Camp for full breakfast, siesta and lunch, boat back to Lobolo Camp for a sundowner, Turkana cultural dance, dinner and overnight.
Day 4: Breakfast – Depart
Breakfast at leisure. This morning explore the area. Transfer to your departure point.
4 DAYS 3 NIGHTS LAKE TURKANA NORTHERN KENYA SAFARI PRICES
Rates below are for 3 Nights 4 Days Holiday Safari
* There is Helicopter landing on the beach near camp
* Getting to Lobolo Camp Lake Turkana ; there are schedule flights to/ from Lodwar town followed by a road transfer 2 hours each way)
* One can also take a private charter flight to and from Eliye Airstrip (return transfer to and from camp take about 30 minutes each way)
* Recommended Extra Packing list for Desert & Lake Conditions: Sunglasses, water-proof sun screen, hat with chin cord to stop it blowing overboard, mosquito
repellant, flash light, light weight walking shoes, sandals
4 Days 3 Nights Lake Turkana Northern Kenya Safari Package Prices Includes:
* Turkana dance
* Full board accommodation sharing tent
* Drinks – local beer, house wine, bottled water and soft drinks
* Cultural visit to the Turkana community and Government taxes
* Transfers/ transport in Turkana by boat/ vehicle where applicable
4 Days 3 Nights Lake Turkana Northern Kenya Safari Package Prices Excludes:
* Transfers where not applicable
* Transport to and from Lake Turkana
* Photographic fees with the local tribes
* Any items or expenses of personal nature
* Any other items not mentioned in the inclusion
* Spirits and/or any other drinks not mentioned above
* Travel and cancellation/ medical insurance including evacuation
* Extra lunch 25 US Dollars Per person if required on departure day
* Packed lunch 20 US Dollars Per person if required on departure day